12:53 PM Tuesday, October 4, 2011

We had a few friends in town this busy weekend.
The Crawl was going on and they really wanted to go. So, we girded up and headed out on the town.

There were a ton of taco trucks and carts up and down 4th. A friend hit a few and did a bit of a 2AM taste test. The results, as you can imagine, were mixed.

We did see the Rolling Chef outside of The Hut and he seemed to have a steady group outside. I hope that he did well.
On a side note, what happened to Tiki Tim’s?

We were able to try a few recipes out on our unsuspecting friends. We included some homemade garlic sausage in a breakfast dish that we are working on and they seemed to dig it. We were also able to slip in a tester of gingered carrot hot sauce that went over well. I love this no-name-yet hot sauce (the bright orange pop on the plate, the vinegary pop in my mouth).

Sunday night, we were lucky enough to get a bit of rain. We (always seem to) need it and I am not complaining.
Unfortunately, we lost power for a couple of hours. No big deal, except we were right in the middle of making sausage the new-fashioned way: with electricity.

Everything went into the fridge as fast as possible (room temperature is certainly a meat grinding no-no!). I had our fridge so packed with pots and mixing bowls, wine and Nimbus Pale Ale, meat and chopped veg mixes (not to mention the syrups and sauce and pickles that we have been working on) that it could have been considered sausage itself. I was afraid that either the shelves were going to collapse or one odd nudge would send the whole kit spilling onto our floor. I cannot wait to get our commissary set up and buy a couple of proper reach-ins!

I was so thrown off that I screwed up the spice mixture, which of course I didn’t realize until I was testing it. A bit of doctoring and….well see. I’m cooking a few links up tomorrow for dinner, so, if it comes out with a good flavor we can call it TEP inspiration.

My friend Chaurice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment