6:22 PM Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Between wading through the requirements for the necessary permits to set up and serve, working on recipes, getting funds together and generally upending our daily lives to get this name on the marquee, we have been running.

Oh yeah, plus Thanksgiving.

I’m thankful that Tucson has shown up to the food truck party!

While we put together our own recipes and ideas, we continue to be inspired by Jamie's Bitchen Kitchen, Cyclopsicle, Planet of the Crepes, MaFooCo and the ever-growing talent pool in town.

Hell yeah we went to the 1st Food Truck Roundup
It was fantastic!
Interested in talking with/getting advice from some of the ‘seasoned’ veterans, we showed up right after work. We watched a bit of a buzz build up on-line but we didn’t know if that would translate to people actually going.

It was pretty low key when we got there (5-ish). Assuming that bugging people while they were finishing up prep would be, at best, annoying and, at worse, rude, we decided to take a stroll around town via Meet Me at Maynards (another regular good time in beautiful Downtown Tucson).

[As an aside: I am so sick of people telling me that there’s “...nothing going on Downtown.” I used to smile and start listing the places to go and things to do, but lately I have been starting to glare before I smile and start listing the places to go…..]

When we made our way back to Dinnerware Artspace, we were amazed to see the place was packed. Serpentine lines of happy eager eaters wove around the parking lot. The truck windows were mobbed!

We had planned on trying a few things from different trucks (skipped my lunch!), but that looked questionable. I queued up for a kimchi quesadillas from MaFooCo (I asked, and it was repeatedly asked of me, “Is this the line for [insert destination here]? I figure, get in a line…any line and think while you wait!). Mrs. Fork and Knife took a look around.

When she got back, we made the decision to consult a couple of drinks. So, we hit the bar and then quickly got in line for Jamie’s BK. I was happy to have a beer in my hand but I'll be even happier when that beer is a fresh pint of Borderlands brew! (The other week, I had a couple for breakfast at Congress…a hearty morning drink that stood up nicely to my Creole plate.)



So now, pint (well...plastic cup) in hand and friendly people all around us, we made our way to (one of the last) Cuban sandwiches in the place.

Yum.

Food trucks.
Food carts.
Food bicycles.
Art.
Music.
Beer.
Happy people.
Downtown.
Tucson.
And to think…there’s another one heading our way!

I cannot wait to set up our truck in the middle (or the outskirts…I’m not picky) of this party and see it through a tiny window with a grill right behind me.

That's us in the FAR back...black and tan...

0 comments:

Post a Comment